Monday 29 August 2011

Matte blue + brown

This weekend I wanted to create a softly defined look using some matte shades, but as I’m not really a neutrals kind of gal I decided to pop some blue into the mix.  Here’s what I came up with.

IMG_1490

2011-08-29

The crease is definitely defined, but as you can see in the full face shot the overall effect is actually quite subtle.

How I did it

I used a primer all over my lids then patted on a layer of pale matte blue eyeshadow (I just used an ancient cheap one that I had in my stash).  I blended the colour out at the edges before adding a second layer of blue and blending at the edges again.  I just did this to get the colour payoff I wanted; if I’d been using a more pigmented shadow I would only have needed one layer. I then used the edge of a flat eyeshadow shading brush to place a medium toned matte brown into my socket line just above my crease. The brown I used was by the Body Shop and applied like a dream…I would recommend using quite a pigmented shadow for this line because you don’t want to disturb the blue too much in the process of packing on loads of brown into the crease.  I then just blended the line until I had created the hazy band of colour I was after.  I then applied the same brown under my lower lash line and brought the line to join the line of the brown on my upper lid.  I then applied a matte highlight colour under my brow bone and whacked on loads of mascara, and finished off with some shimmery red blush on the apples of my cheeks and a neutral brown lippie.

I have to say that I do love the overall effect of this look – because there are no harsh lines it’s relaxed and laid back, and while it’s definitely polished, it’s still good fun.  A perfect daytime look for hanging out with friends I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment